Quotes board

A place to share your favourite quotes with others of the community.

“Program, or be programmed.”

“My training is not for money, competition or even my master. It’s the one time that I can feel something that is real. Money is an illusion, Beauty is temporary and Love is immeasurable. Effort is something that I can grasp a hold of.”

“Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.” - Carl G. Jung

“Driving the change, changing the drive.”

1 Like

“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”

1 Like

“A samurai’s word is harder than metal." - Hagakure, Y. Tsunetomo

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.

2 Likes

“The secret to staying motivated, is to continuously ask questions. Specifically – how & why. If you don’t know, you don’t improve!” - So, keep questioning everything, everyone, yourself.

1 Like

"Three more things about critics and criticism, Walker. First, many critics are cowards. Not only do they snipe at lives that they are unwilling to live themselves, but they’ll mouth off for years and never once have the courage to sit down with you, face to face, and tell you what they think. If you let them direct what you do, you are turning your life over to cowards.

Second, as with all fears, we have a tendency to imagine the worst. I like how Thomas Jefferson put it: “How much pain have cost us the evils which have never happened!” Are you going to let what someone might say prevent you from doing what you must do?

Finally, of course there is such a thing as constructive criticism. Everyone likes to say that they are offering constructive criticism. But you know what’s really constructive? Work. There are simple standards for measuring the worth of people’s critiques. Do they actually care about you? Do they just talk at you, or are they willing to sweat with you? Have they put any effort into what they are saying to you? Someone who cares about you, sweats with you, and corrects you when you need to be corrected is one of the most precious things in life:

a true friend."

The Flying Dojo - a group of “friends”? :wink:

From the book: Resilience by Eric Greitens

1 Like

"The constant promise of pleasure can blind us to the fact that there are other kinds of happiness that we need for a full life. We begin to believe that one more purchase, one more meal, one more trip, one more thing will finally make us complete.

Why sell something no one can buy? The happiness that comes from the pursuit of excellence cannot be advertised - because it is not for sale. It is unsellable because we create it, or not, for ourselves."

Keep up the work comrades! - The Flying Dojo

From the book: Resilience by Eric Greitens

“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” - Bruce Lee

1 Like

als het niet gaat zoals het moet dan moet het maar zoals het gaat haha

Miqzz.

5 Likes

"We sow a thought and reap an act;
We sow an act and reap a habit;
We sow a habit and reap a character;
We sow a character and reap a destiny.*

ANONYMOUS

1 Like

1 Like

Why not?

For me asking these two words to myself often get me motivated. When you’re thinking about something you’d have to do but don’t really like doing, the natural question that comes up in mind is: why should I do this? Often excuses follow and in the end you don’t get doing it. Asking yourself the opposite question (why not?) will have an opposite effect. At least, for me it works. It makes you do things that otherwise maybe you wouldn’t have done.

To give some examples:
A few years ago I decided on a summernight to cycle to Antwerp the next day for a little city trip (about 80 km’s). If I asked myself why, probably the excuses would’ve weighted more than the advantages. Asking yourself “why not?” it is a whole different story.
I live in an appartment on the seventh floor (so about 140 steps). Some time ago, asking myself this two word question, I decided I’d always take the stairs instead of the elevator from then on, because: why not?

1 Like

Oeeh deze is wel heel lekker inderdaad!

1 Like

‘What I’ve learned about morning routines is that it doesn’t matter what you do, it’s that you put your routine on autopilot so when you wake up you just naturally do A,B,C,D and E. I don’t get up early… I often go to bed late and wake up at 11 am. But I still have a set morning routine that I follow which is automatic. I don’t need to think about doing it…I just get up and do it.’

-Tim Ferris

1 Like

“That was the real secret of the Tarahumara: they’d never forgotten what it felt like to love running. They remembered that running was mankind’s first fine art, our original act of inspired creation. Way before we were scratching pictures on caves or beating rhythms on hollow trees, we were perfecting the art of combining our breath and mind and muscles into fluid self-propulsion over wild terrain. And when our ancestors finally did make their first cave paintings, what were the first designs? A downward slash, lightning bolts through the bottom and middle–behold, the Running Man.
Distance running was revered because it was indispensable; it was the way we survived and thrived and spread across the planet. You ran to eat and to avoid being eaten; you ran to find a mate and impress her, and with her you ran off to start a new life together. You had to love running, or you wouldn’t live to love anything else. And like everyhing else we ove–everything we sentimentally call our ‘passions’ and ‘desires’ it’s really an encoded ancestral necessity. We were born to run; we were born because we run. We’re all Running People, as the Tarahumara have always known.”

-Christopher McDougall, Born to run

1 Like