Delicious nutritional recipes

Post your juicy recipes, and recipe websites!

Risotto Jensolanti

For 2 persons:
250 grams of whole weat rice
250 grams of white, brown or red beans (what you like)
1 big red onion
2 bell peppers (of two different colours preferably)
A pan with vegetable stock.
Currypowder

First of all you take a pan and start to boil the rice, make sure to take it off some minutes before it would actually be ready.
In the meantime we have to prepare the stock and heat it (to not have to start making stock an hour before, I usually use a vegetable stock that you can by in liquid form in the supermarket; be sure to take the one with less salt).
We also need to put the diced onion and peppers in a big japanese style pan (in any case, the pan needs to be high) with a little oil EVO for at least five minutes.
When the rice is almost ready and the onion and peppers baked a little, we throw away the water of the rice and put the rice in with the onion and peppers.
Immediatly we add a bit of stock (in which the rice will continue the cook and all flavours will flow together cooking it for some time all together in liquid); the stock should make the ingredients stay just a little under the liquid.
We add our beans that, besides being very nice, together with the rice will create complete protein, because their different amino-acids will fill the lackings of the other.
At the same time we throw in some currypowder to spice up, I usually put a lot.
We let our risotto sidder on medium heat, turning it around from time to time and when it starts to dry up we re-add some stock. Repeat this until the rice is cooked and all the flavours mixed up: as a whole it has to become almost cream-like.
With the presentation it’s optional to put some cashew nuts or almonds on top of each plate.

1 Like

Pasta alle zucchine

For 2 persons:
250 of whole wheat pasta
3 middle-sized zucchini
A few cloves of garlic and some hot peppers to taste

Let’s put the water on the fire and in the meantime cut our garlic, peppers and zucchini.
When the water boils we throw in our pasta (the taste is better if you put salt in the water, but less healthy: it is optional).
We bake the garlic and pepper in a pan with oil EVO.
When the garlic starts to change colour, we add our zucchini.
The time for the zucchini to get cooked is similar to the boiling time of the pasta, but always try before you eat: the zucchini should be a little soft and have absorbed a lot of flavor.
When te pasta is ready we throw away the water and put the pasta in the pan and it is ready.

Note:
This plate is perfect if afterwards you eat a “secondo piatto” that has the nutrients that lack in this recipe, especially protein. Often i put some white beans in the pan when the zucchini are almost cooked (so the beans just warm up), because in this way I avoid to have to make a “secondo piatto” in order to have the nutrients I want.
The plate is perfect for lunch, and it also tastes good cold: so if you have to eat outside of your house, cook this recipe the evening before or in the morning, and take it to your job!

1 Like

Beans with sage and garlic

For 2 persons:
250 grams of white beans
250 grams of brown beans
2 cloves of garlic
5 to 10 sage leaves, depending on taste

This easy italian side-dish (“contorno”) is perfect to eat alongside or after a plate of pasta with a minimalistic sauce, to make the whole very nutrious.

We cut the cloves of garlic and bake them a little in oil EVO. After a few minutes we put in the beans (don’t throw away all of the liquid, because it will give the dish a more creamy texture) and the finely choppes sage leaves. Let it simmer on low heat for about five minutes and your dish is ready. Add some black pepper if you desire.

1 Like

Peas

For 2 persons as a side-dish:
500 grams of peas
1 onion
8 cherry tomatoes
1 hot pepper
Broth of vegetables (prepacked for convenience)

We start dicing the onion and the hot pepper and put them in a pan with a little oil EVO.
After circa 5 minutes, we put in the peas and the vegetable broth that we have already heated (which is used to cook the peas in instead of water the give the dish more flavour).
We slice the cherry tomatoes in half and put them in the pan: they will dissolve during the cooking process.
We let it on medium heat and if the broth evaporates we put some in.
It will take about 15 minutes when I do it, but taste for yourself when they are ready.

1 Like

Going to try this one this week! :yum:

1 Like

Spaghetti ai pomodorini

For 2 persons:
250 grams of whole wheat spaghetti
500 grams of cherry tomolatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 hot pepper (if desired)
10 basil leaves

Put a pan of water on the fire.
Dice the garlic and the hot pepper and bake them in a pan in oil EVO for about 5 minutes.
While the garlic and hot pepper are cooking, cut the cherry tomatoes in quarters and put them in the baking pan.
Put in the spaghetti when the water boils.
The trick to make the tomato sauce creamy and let the cherry tomatoes dissolve is to press on them with a spoon and, very important, to put a little bit of the boiling pasta water in when it dries to much.
Continue this on medium-high heat and cut the basil in the meantime.
Try to roll the basil leafs in a cigar-like form and cut them in that way: it’s not only efficient, it also preserves all of the nutrients (except of the outer leave) that basil has, instead of letting them behind in the cutting board.
When the spaghetti is almost ready, add the basil.
Throw away the boiling water and put the spaghetti together with the sauce.

Note:
Make sure to eat something afterwards to make sure you get the amino acids that lack in pasta and so get complete protein! See the peas recipe or the beans with sage and garlic recipe that I posted for this matter.

You can also use other pasta forms, but I prefer spaghetti (a so-called long pasta) with relatively liquid sauces. Just make sure your pasta is made from whole wheat and thus contains a lot of fibre!

1 Like

Make sure to throw in any visuals if you have. :wink:

1 Like

Pasta e fagioli

This is a very healthy traditional italian recipe based on beans and pasta. It is a recipe seen as “cucina povera”, which means “poor kitchen”. The name “poor kitchen”-recipes is based on the fact that traditionally farmers used to eat it as it was (and is) very cheap, made with products that came directly from the land.

Ingredients:
250 grams of brown beans
250 grams of white beans
250 grams of whole wheat pasta (preferably short pasta; I usually use mezze maniche)
1 red onion
2 carots
2 sticks of celery
1 litre of vegetal broth
A few cherry tomatoes or tomato concentrate
A few aromatic herbs like sage or rosemary

We start cutting the onion, carots and celery and put them in the pan we’re going to use for the dish with a bit of olive oil. In the meantime we mix te brown and white beans and mash half of them. After about five minutes we put the mashed and whole beans in together with the broth so they’re under liquid and put in the aromatic herbs. Put in the chopped cherry tomatoes or tomato concentrate. After a few minutes throw in the pasta. Keep stiring so the whole won’t attach to the bottom. When the pasta is cooked it’s ready: take out the aromatic herbs and finish off with some black pepper and olive oil if desired.

1 Like

Prepacked mixed cereals, dried peas and dried lentils enriched with vegetables and red beans.

I recently found these packages with cereals and dried legumes which are a very healthy meal you can cook when you have little time. Add some vegetables to make it even more nutricious. Search in your supermarket if you can find a similar package.

Ingredients for 2 persons (as I made it today):
1 bag of cereals and legumes (see picture)
2 red onions
2 carots
1 courgette
A tan of red beans
Vegetable broth
Curry powder

Start cutting the veggies and putting them in a high pan with a little olive oil. After about 5/10 minutes add the package and let it cook in vegetable broth. Add some curry powder. Little before the end add the red beans. You can see it’s ready when the cereals are cooked and most of the liquid evaporised.

As you can see: very fast, very easy and very healthy.